Many times, we encounter that certain application creates a lot of troubles in operating on Mac. It becomes uncontrollable and does not halt immediately. The last option users have to handle these stubborn apps is ‘force quit’ them. Although, Force quit, is not a good idea to do on a regular basis still it can be used for exigency purposes to control frozen apps.
One can also Force quit any misbehaving app to remove the cache and clear unwanted data. If you face such a situation and you are looking for the options to force quit a frozen or misbehaving app, so here are some methods by which you can completely force quit apps on Mac.
There are several ways are available for force quit an app. A few of them are as follows
Using the Finder
Use the Apple menu i.e. Finder is a classic method of force quit the app that creates any problem. Hence, dig in the steps that are mentioned as under.
- Click on black apple icon at the top left to open the Finder.
- Now, go for the “Force Quit” option.
- Then you’ll get a list of apps, pick one app that you want to force quit.
- There you’ll find an option “Force Quit”, click on it.
- The app will force quit instantly.
With Keyboard Shortcut Key
Keyboard shortcuts for Mac are very helpful at times. There is also a shortcut method available for force quite an app. Just after pressing a few keys together, you can achieve your task.
- Initially, press Option, Command and Esc (Escape) keys altogether.
- A menu bar appears on your screen, from that options menu select “Force Quit”.
- Now, opt for the app that you desire to force quit.
- Now hit the “Force Quit” option.
Using Activity Monitor
You can also use Activity Monitor to force quit any unwanted application. Hence, have a glimpse on the below stated instructions.
- Select the Spotlight option by clicking on a magnifying glass icon at the top-right edge.
- Using the search bar, look for activity monitor by typing the name.
- In the Application heading, select the option “Activity Monitor”.
- Now, Opt for the app that you wish to force quit.
- At the top left edge of that window, you will get an option “Quit Process”. Click on it.
- It will restrict the app to run.
The Bottom Line
‘Force quit’ an app can only be done in an emergency condition. If you force quit any system app it may diminish the system’s efficiency. It neither increases the performance of the Mac nor optimizes the RAM. Also, it doesn’t help in extending the battery’s life. So better be careful while force quitting an app on Mac.